Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Netbackup and Networker share the same server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmikeo

Technical User
Oct 31, 2005
US
The company I work for runs data restorations for outside customers. We have a restoration scheduling conflict that needs resolution.

Are there specific reasons that will prevent us from using Legato Networker Version 6.1.3 and Veritas Netbackup Version 5.1 simultanously on the same server?

We are using a Sun Solaris server. The output from the "uname -a" displays "SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-26 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R"

Can we use our server both as a Legato Networker Backup Server and a Veritas Netbackup Master server simultanously?

Another idea that could help us. Is it possible to use the same server as a Legato Networker Backup Server and a Veritas Media Server simultanously?

This is probably necessary as long as the devices are not used at the same time.

On Windows, you need to make sure that NB drives (if available and used at all) will not interfere.

does netbackup use the same TCP port range as networker, this is tunable so not a big issue, just curious....

would need to ensure Tape drvies were unique to each, also maybe use different NIC's on the system.

my recommendation on this.....use Virtual systems..i.e. vmware.

if you mean you would only ever run one at a time.....then yes you shouldnt have any"many" issues to deal with, tune etc

Our server is a SPARC SUN-FIRE-480R. VMWARE can not run on that type of system.

We would like to run both Legato Networker Backup server and Veritas Netbackup Media server simultaneously. Both
will be up and running restorations at the same time.

The tape drives can not be sharred between Networker and Netbackup. We will configure some of our tape drives for
Networker and the other drives for Netbackup.

I do not know if there will be any TCP/IP port conflicts
between Networker and Netbackup once they are both running on our server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back