Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Music and Data go on 1 CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysrus

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
US
I have a program (an exe file) that I would like to put on a CD along with music. I would like my friend to be able to copy the program to their own PC and the program will reference music tracks on the CD. Therefore I need to put the program and music on 1 CD. Is this possible? Can a CD only be formatted for Data OR Music? Also, what is a good CD burning software to use?

i have WinOnCD software that can do Mixed Mode CD, meaning it can write data tracks and audio tracks on a CD

You can but the Music part of the CD will not work in a normal CD player. It will however work in your PC. WinOnCD 3.7 is good if you can get it.

A domestic CD player won't play the audio but if the audio is recorded as .wav files (if small file size is important then .wma or even the dreaded .mp3) the program could be written to access the audio files on the CD when put in a PC. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

I feel sure I have read somewhere that if you do mix music and data on the one CD, as long as the music bit goes on first, it will play on your hi-fi system. Can't think for the life of me where I read that though, but with price of CD's so low, try it out. I use Adaptec for copying but have read good reviews of Nero

I suppose you could try burning audio on first, leaving the CD open then adding the .exe file, but I thought that the CD had to be 'closed' after burning the audio or it wouldn't work in a domestic player. But as TBH1 points out, recordables are cheap enough anyway so perhaps try it 'for scientific research'. Anyway, if it is to be used only on a PC, then do as I suggested, recording it as data rather than audio. That way any burning software will do. I use Adaptec's Easy C.D. Creator 4.03 and have no complaints. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

if you want to be able to play the audio files on audio cd players, then you can still use WinOnCD and just use the CD-Extra recording format. it places all the audio tracks in the first session and the data track in the second session. cd audio player only recognizes the first session and this also prevents some damage to your cd audio player if you accidentally play a cd with data track.
hope this help solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back