Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can MSI be used with VB6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmorro

Programmer
Jun 23, 2005
US
Hi,
I would like to know if MSI can be used to deploy VB6 applications. I know that it works great with VB.Net but I have not read anything on how to use it with VB6.
If there is a way, can you please let me know how?

Thanks in advance,
:)

Thanks for the lead strongm.

elmorro :)

I currently am using VB6 where I work, and use the Visual Studio Installer for MSI packaging. It works great, and so far (other than some limited features) I have had no problems.

Also, if you know the MSIEXEC switches (drop to command line and type MSIEXEC without any switches to get the list of switches) you can have your VB program launch MSI routines as well, and uninstall/install other packages.

I currently have a setup on one of the programs that I deployed, that looks for a new version, runs the setup.exe from the server, which launches the uninstall routine for the package, and install package routine to upgrade to the newest version being deployed.

So, in a nutshell, yes, you can use MSI packaging, and the Visual Studio Installer is a great solution once you figure it out.

elmorro,

One more thing. In order for msi files to run on a given machine, that machine needs to be running a service called "Windows Installer." Most of the newer opsys versions ship with this service. However, pre Win2000 systems do not, and I believe some early Win2000 systems don't either.

If you're not sure if the service is installed, you can check your services to see, and if it isn't, you can download it from (there's a different page for Win 9x, referenced from this one).

HTH

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I believe all of our machines are either Windows 2k or XP, but I will double check to make sure they all have "Windows Installer"

elmorro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back