Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can jsp be used in SQL statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styx218

Programmer
Apr 23, 2007
IE
I am developing a fantasy football application.When the user makes choice of players, i need them to be stored in a seperate table,that applys to only them,so that when the user is logged in i can retrieve the values from the table and display in a bean.

So it will be titled whatever the username is at the time.. So it will be something like

CREATE TABLE `//username goes here` (

im using jsp but i would imagine to insert the username as the title of the sql i would need a javascript function??

my table will look something like this,although i may have to alter it,as the values of the players may need to saved also

`goalkeeper` char(100) default NULL,
`leftback` char(100) default NULL,
`centreback1` char(100) default NULL,
`centreback2` char(100) default NULL,
`rightback` char(100) default NULL,
`wingleft` char(100) default NULL,
`centmid1` char(100) default NULL,
`centmid2` char(100) default NULL,
`wingright` char(100) default NULL,
`striker1` char(100) default NULL,
`striker1` char(100) default NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (`//not defined yet`)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this

What happend to normalization??

Add the username as a field and you can have all the users players in one table.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My old site" - Me

Hi Chrissie,

I am storing all the players in a single table, i just need each table name to be specific to the user name,there will be a different user name each time a team is registered,how do i integrate this into my sql statement

regards,
styx218

Don't have a table per user. That's a bad design. There is a Many-to-Many relationship between users and players. Each user can have many players, and each player can be part of the fantasy team of many users.

So you want a table for users (holding just their user details, things like name, username, encrypted password etc) and a table for the football players. Have a single BIGINT as the primary key for these tables. Then you'd have a third table called a 'join-table' which relates the users and players together. Eg. if user 1 has players 2,5,7 and 9 then the join table will contain records holding 1 and 2, 1 and 5, 1 and 6, 1 and 9.

There must be thousands of hits in Google for 'How to do SQL many to many join tables'. Have a read around.

Tim

hi tim ive just had a read around and this is defintley the right approach,however the problem is that i have 5 tables of players (goalkeepers,fullbacks,midfielders etc)

At the moment i have primary key as "Player_Id". If i was to change primary key in each of those tables to "Goalkeeper_Id,Fullback_Id", How would i store these together in a join table? Beacause theoretically i could have user_id 1 with players 4,4,5,5 etc (duplicate values).Or would i create a join table for each of the tables?

Sorry if my question seems silly im just on a steep learning curve here :)

thanks and regards,
styx218

Why have a table for each type of player? Simply have one table with all players and have a field where you store what type of player they are.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back