Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can join computers to the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap1946

Technical User
Nov 16, 2005
US
Am using WinServer2003 Enterprise (180 day evaluation) and am having problems joining more than one client to the domain. One joined easily, the others won't no matter what I seem to do. Does anyone know if there are limitations in the evaluation version that would prevent more than one client from joining the domain. Doesn't seem like it would be much of an evaluation product if it did; but I was curious if anyone knew for sure before I continue looking for other problems.

tap1946

tap196,

The standard package has 5 CALS included.

As you did not specify what OS the clients are running I have included some basic and some specific references.

Joining a Domain

Domain Join of a Windows 2000 Client to a Windows Server 2003 Domain Does Not Work

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks rvnguy

It was late at night when I posted. Sorry for no OS info.

Clients are all Win2kPro. I knew there were 5 cals included and I have the CALS applied to the server (i.e. the server should accept 5 simultaneous users). I just wasn't sure if the eval copy of WinServer2003 might be limited to only letting one computer joing the domain as part of evaluation limitations or if it was fully functional except for the 180 limitation. I believe the second to be the case; but wanted to check with others before beating my head against a wall trying to get this to work.

What is frustrating is that one client joined with no problem while the other two won't. I'm going to change out the NIC this afternoon and set the second machine's NIC exactly like the working machine and see what happens. The second machine currently has a Realtek NIC while the working one has a Linksys. The Linksys seems to have more available settings under the properties tab, so maybe the problem is there. I can ping the server by IP address, computer name, or domain name but the last two clients just won't join.

Error message is:

The following error occured validating the name "xxxxx.Xsssss.Xbbbbbb".
The specified domain name does not exist or could not be contacted.

Am using the exact method outlined in the first hyperlink you provided.

Thanks for your help.

Are you using DHCP to configure IP addresses? If not make sure that DNS is configured correctly on the clients.

Only one connection of the server NIC is being used at this point. That connection is assigned static address 192.168.0.1. Server scope is set for 192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.254. Clients are set to obtain an IP address automatically. Have confirmed they are doing so by using IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW. Just to make things simpler for me, I have the server set with reservations for each client so they always get the same IP.

I'll keep trying until I figure out the problem. Thanks for the info.

I assume your DNS server is 192.168.0.1 if you IPCONFIG /ALL on the client is that where the DNS points?

if this is a testenvironment fill in the lmhost file
this way the clients will find the domain

regards 'lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

porkchopexpress

The DC, DHCP, and DNS all reside on one server with a static address of 192.168.0.1 assigned to the NIC. If you IPCONFIG /all, the DNS points to 192.168.0.1.

We were concerned that since I am using the 180 day evaluation copy of WinServer2003, that there might be a limitation on how many machines could join the domain. As of yesterday afternoon, I got a second machine to join so that is obviously not the problem. Also changed out the NIC card to the same brand as the machine that had been working and duplicated the settings of the working machine. The one errant machine still refuses to join the domain even though I can ping the IP, the server name, or the domain name.

SIDELIGHT - Just for everybody else's benefit.

I did find that antivirus software was causing additional problems. Had been disabling it on the machine I was working on; but in my frustration, hadn't realized that it was still working on other machines or had been reenabled because of client rebooting. Although I could ping the server, I couldn't always ping all other clients from a given client. Adding a line in the antivirus software to allow connections from any other client on the LAN solved that problem. SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT UPFRONT! DUH!

Subnet masks have been checked to make sure they are identical.

I did notice that when the errant machine boots up, there are some abnormal startup screens (one black screen with only a few lines across the top). I'm assuming at this point that there very well may be issues with the operating system on that client. Since all data was migrated to common storage on the server last week, it will be relatively easy to reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system. I'm going to do that today and see if that helps.

Larsdemo

I'll take a look at the LMHOSTS option too.

Thanks everybody.

there are no limits on the trial software other than the 180 days.

Can you ping the DC by name from the clients and can you ping the domain name?

Don't repeat my fubar: Created an account with permissions to join PC's to the domain and set the account to change the password on the next login. Used the account to join the first PC to the domain. Ooops! Should have logged onto the domain and changed that password first because the account is now locked out. The other's wouldn't join until I discovered this.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Ah yes! But we do learn our lessons don't we!

I'm always careful not to set that option until I'm done playing (I mean setting up . . . ) a computer.

You're post should be helpful to others though . . .

Ran into another problem today too. Installed McAfee Virus Scan 10 and McAfee Person Firewall 7.0 because I still have my internet connection coming in to my client (for reasons I won't go into here - it will eventually change). Had network connectivity on two client machines before the upgrade and nothing after. After talking to tech support via chat, they advised that I do the reset procedure in firewall because it was somehow misconfigured. Did the reset and I'm back to where I was. Don't know if this was a quirk for me or if this is something somebody else will run into. Anyway, this is what worked for me. Use the info if it's helpful to you.

S U C C E S S ! !

Apparently, the suspected problem with the OS on the client was indeed the culprit. Erased, re-partioned, reformatted, and reinstalled the OS. Everything worked great from that point. Was able to join the domain on the first try.

Learned a lot of things along the way working with this though so all is not lost.

Thanks for everybody's help and ideas. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

tap1946

. . . there's something to be said for the 1000 monkeys at at typewriter method . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back