Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can it be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemsbok

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
ZA
I just bought a new PC. 865 MSI MBoard 4xagp, 2000 mhz Celeron, 40 gig hd, MSI FX 5600 Grapix Accelarator and 512 m RAM. The PC freezes after a while when running 3d games. The sound also freezes at the point where the PC stops responding. Somebody wrote to me and said it might be a voltage thing..my Mboard might not supply enough voltage to agp's. Can it be..MSI manufactured both the MBoard and Graphics Accelator.

Also, if you motherboard supports sideband addressing on the AGP slot, try disabling it as this can cause problems.

Lastly, if that does not help you, try turning off AGP fast writes either in the BIOS or by using something like rivatuner.

I have a PC that behaves the same way until I turn off AGP fast writes.

Good luck!

Yeh that could be the problem.. but it could be many other things too. My first guess would be dirvers and bios updates for your board. On the last three comps I've built, Ive had to flash the bios right out of the box in order to get somthing to work. Do you run any USB stuff at the same time?.. I had one mo-bo that seemed to have the agp power and the usb linked and as long as I unplugged the usb mouse, it worked fine. Also, it is possible that the graphix adapter or your agp slot is screwy. Quality assurance isnt what it used to be. Its a stretch but if it is the voltage you might be able to try a larger power supply and or mess with jumpers on your mo-bo... but again I doubt there is much you can do about the settings. Good Luck!

Hola,

Could also be that the RAM (memory) isn't working like it should under load... ergo it heats up and locks up the system...

Ben

If you have any settings in the bios or jumpers on the motherboard for USB devices for wake on event this requires more power. Any wake on event in the BIOS requires extra power whether it is USB/PS2 mouse or keyboard or network or modem, or phone signal.

On many motherboards using a different BIOS can make a big difference. This is very true if you are using DDR400 memory. It is very hard to keep the memory stable when running DDR400 memory. This is one thing that was noted on motherboard reviews of i865/i875 chipsets using DDR400 memory.

You could try a different power supply if you think it is power related.

Integrated motherboards and even non-integrated motherobard can also have problems with the sound drivers. Wouldn't be the first time a sound card crashed a game or caused a computer to reboot.

WinXP also may be interfering if you have the automatic save or powersave running. There are services which can be turned off completely in winxp. There are some sites on the Internet that deal with WinXP services.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanx for all the replies - I did switch off the AGP fast writing and sidebands with rivatuner - still the same.

Maybe I should mention that I have a 266DDR AND a 400DDR (both 256) sticks in the PC.
CEH4702, what do you mean by different power supply and how do I go about trying an other power sypply? Also, I'm running Win98SE.

Regarding the overheating - I chekced the temerature and it is constantly running between 45 and 55 C.

I downloaded and installed the most rescent sound drivers and display driver to see if that whopuld help - nothing, must be a hardware thing.

Check the wattage of your power supply unit, it may not be supplying enough to power everything on your mobo. Some graphics cards can require a lot of power to run, the same goes for sound applications. Does your speakers draw power from the same PSU?
Michael

Micheal, I just spoke to the guy where I bought the PC...he said it can't be the power supply, he especially made sure I had enough power to accomodate the Graphics Card.HMMMM, must be the sound something, because the PC tend to freezes whenever there are background sound (misiles, birdies ect.

Gemsbok,
If he took that into account, then there should be enough wattage in the PSU.
I'm assuming that you also have a separate sound card.
Your speakers, are they powered from a separate socket (in the wall, power strip or whatever) or do they have a small round socket that plugs into the PSU on your PC? (as opposed to the line out socket on your soundcard)
Michael

Micheal, the speakers have a seperate plug..directly into the wall. Thanx for your patience.

you have a DDR266 and a DDR400 stick in the same machine? I'd start out by matching my RAM speeds first. That's probably your biggest problem right there. Pull out the 266 stick and see if you still lock up.

Thanx, I will try that. Might come back to you..

Maybe it is a temperature problem. Do you have an active or passive heatsink on the videocard? Try to run the pc with the cover opened and after playing a while, try to feel the heat of cpu, ram and graphics processor. Maybe this is the cause of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back