Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ISA be used to help the client resolve www.yahoo.com to an IP addr 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpoandl

MIS
Jun 23, 2000
US
Hi,

I'm new to ISA. I was wondering if ISA can be used to act as a DNS server for client machines?

For example, my internal DNs servers do not forward requests to the internet. The DNS server only resolve internal stuff.

Can I add an ISA server that points to the internet ISP DNS servers and provide DNS resolution for client machines?

-thanks in advance Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

yes you can use ISA to do the external DNS lookups. But you will need to install the ISA Firewall client on each machine

Sithl0rd,

So every client must have an ISA firewall? Couldn't you just put the ISA server behind a enterprise level site FIREWALL Server?

Do you need this ISA client firewall on each client machine? I though IE 5.5-6.0 could just use the ISA server as a PROXY (use PAC file to automate the proxy settings on the client).

Please provide more information if you can.

Thanks for the response...apparently not too many people know much about ISA 2K.

Thanks again! Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Yes you can just put the ISA server address into the proxy settings in IE, but only IE can resolve names and access internet.
As for the Secure Client method for ISA, which is putting the IP address of the ISA server as the default gateway on the client. This doesnt work as far as i can tell, even though Microsoft advertises ISA can do this.

"Yes you can just put the ISA server address into the proxy settings in IE, but only IE can resolve names and access internet." -- I like this..clients wouldn't need to resolve on the internet except when using IE explorer anyway.

I guess what you are saying is that clients that what to use...like a VPN connection using 3rd party software will have problems connecting on the internet----because they are not using IE to connect?

Thanks...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back