Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can install Oracle 8 personal edition on Window 2000? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

janezhu

Technical User
Aug 16, 2000
US
I downloaded oracle 8i personal edition, and try to run on the window2000, however it failed immediately. It open the oracle universal installer, and when I click next, it exited immediately. Does any body ever has succeed in installing oracle 8i on window2000, or it is just imcompatible?<br><br>Thanks;<br><br>Jane

yeah you are right i know so many people who could not install oracle 8i on windows 2000 and windows ME.

This was our experience also. We weren't able to run the Oracle 8i personal edition on Windows 2000 or Windows ME (or 95 either, I believe). It is only compatible with Windows 98 according to an Oracle instructor. However, there IS a version available that is compatible with newer Windows releases on the oracle website. (I believe it costs about $40).

you need to download the RDBMS for win 2000,or NT i am not sure how its listed on the oracle site, i would have posted the link, but the site is down again.
personal oracle (for 98) will not work with win2k. after you install it and wish to remove it, the uninstall does not work properly, it leaves all the files on your HD. i had to manually delete them (a few different times).

I have Oracle 8i PE installed on my WINDOWS ME machine. I found the fix at technet.oracle. Oracle 8i Personal Edition can and will install to a machine using Windows ME. There is minor glitch that must be handled before Oracle PE can be installed. The WIN.INI file for Windows must be edited. Open the WIN.INI file in a text editor such as notepad. Scroll down to the heading [Compatability95] and add the following line to the end of the section: Jrew=0x00080000. Save the WIN.INI file and install Oracle PE.

You have to install a windows 2000 version of Oracle 8

Oracle.com has the appropriate version for Windows 2000/NT.
You must be using the wrong version.

Oracle 8.1.7 works on Windows 2000
i've been using it (personal edition ) and i've had no problems
you can download it from technet

Anyone had this problem ?

I tried to install Personal Oracle 8i for NT/2000 from the oracle site on Windows 2000 Profesional.

The setup.exe runs and then exits with no error ?

Nothing is displayed on the screen and there is nothing
in any of the 2000 event logs.

any help much apreciated

I downloaded Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition (for Windows Win2k), extracted the entire zip file to a local folder on my pc running Win2k, ran the Universal Installer, and did not have any problems.

Kudos to Oracle for making their product available for personal use at no charge (even the Enterprise Edition!!!). I have dba privileges at work, but it helps to be able to experiment (at home) w/out having to worry about the repurcussions.

The problem is your processor. You probably have a P4 (maybe Socket 478), who seems to be unable to handle some instructions from Oracle's Installer...

Hello all,
I am new to oracle. I just installed Oracle personal edition on my windows 2000 system, but I have no idea how to configure it. Somebody please help me. How can I get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back