Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i used locally installed applications on my domain account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

port27374

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone could help me think this scenario through a little, your help is appreicated as always!

Scenario: I am making a small network comprising of windows 2003 server standard edition acting as a domain controller for 10 XP pro clients.

Each client has a copy of MS Office 2007 installed locally -but all users need to access a network application for the day to day running on their business.. can they use their locally installed MS office within their profiles? how is this achieved in terms of configuration? what if they have roaming profiles?

Also, has anyone had much experience with Kaspersky Network edition Protection? any suggestions before i buy?

There should be no need to change anything to use that app. Users should always be using their domain account, and all apps on the machine should be available to them (assuming they weren't installed using the "only me" option - which Office doesn't have, IIRC).

Pat Richard MVP

I usually uninstall Kaspersky from machines I work on. It has a hugh foot print on the machine. Better off using something else like AVG, Nod32, or TrendMicro.

That may be true (about the footprint), but Kaspersky has one of the best engines around.

Pat Richard MVP

OK, very helpful - thankyou very much for that folks, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back