Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use the same Product keys on all my computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1mum

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
US
Our company uses Norton Ghost to image all of our boxes and i use sysprep.inf to automate a lot of the sysprep Mini Setup. Included in that answer file is a product key from on of our licenses. Now we are being questioned about the legality of our licensing. Do i need to change all the Product Keys to reflect a unique Key for Each box from our licenses we have purchased? Also would we need to do it for all our different MS OS's (Win 98, NT4, W2K Pro, W2K SRV) ?

If anyone knows of any articles already discussing this please inform me of the links. Also if you can provide any backings on your answer that would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

-Max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer
- Slackin on Studying for MCAD

Microsoft does not provide support for computers that have been installed by duplicating fully installed copies of Windows. Microsoft supports computers that were installed by using disk-duplicating software and the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe)."

Do Not Disk Duplicate Installed Versions of Windows

bcastner,
Thanks for that link. I am using SYSPREP on my clones. It generates a new SID, but I am using the same Product KEY for each box then setting aside a license for this machine. When MS says they dont support windows deployments installed by imaging tools. Does this mean that it is not legal? I could care less if they support it , I just want to be legal.

-Max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

When is the last time you actually called M$ for any Desktop O/S related issues? In 13 years, I've only called once for a server product, which taught me that the best way to find the anwser is with forums like this one. They won't support you doesn't mean it's not legal. If you have bought all OEM computers with the O/S installed, the stickers on the computer is your proof you need. (with your invoice too).

Changing the original O/S DOES violate the license agreement, but they won't sue you if you have proof of purchase. It's just a legal way to scare you from crossing the line.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

As long has you have the documentation/licensing to PROVE that you have purchased seperate licenses for each computer (via eOpen.microsoft.com or paper licenses or whathaveyou), then you will be OK in the remote chance that you would get audited.

the installation program will let you use the same key as many times as you like, it doesn't keep track of how many times the same key has been used.

Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone.

Most of our PCs did not come with Licenses or COA stickers on the side. We purchased a lot of OEM copies of M$ software along with these PCs. Most of which are still sealed in the OEM packaging with COA attached. It would just be such a hassle to change the product keys to a unique key on each PC. Thanks for the comments. If anyone else has anything else to say it would be greatly appreciated.

-max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

where I am at we have images set up for the computer, with the sysprep scripts, and there is one product code in the scripts, All of our computers have the an os sticker with a code on it so we are ligit.
so yes it will work.

Those licences however only license you to run the OS the came factory installed not a newer version. You can still have mutiple pcs using the same install. Its called volume licensing. Baicly you pay a fee every year depending on how many computers you have in your network and that entitles you to install the latest OS and office if you pay for it. I beleave there is a 3 year option as well. Other wise you would need a OS license for each machine if you install somthing other then what was factory installed. To legally meet the licensing requirments.

So if you purchase OEM Licenses that were not installed from the factory these are not legit?

-Max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

max1mum,

If you purchase new equipment, and install an OEM license, they are perfectly legitimate.

Just never plan to upgrade the base workstation. While you may not like it, a discussion that could possibly help: faq779-4004

We purchased PCs with no OS, and purchased OEM licenses to go along with them. If the PC we set aside the license for hard crashes and we want to transfer the license to another PC is this possible? How is the license allocated? We are leaving the COA on the OEM package in case we do need to transfer the license to another PC.

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

If your not an Original Equipement Manufacturer (building PCs), then you shouldn't even be allowed to buy OEM licenses. If your an end user and tried to save money by buying no O/S and then purchasing OEM licenses, then your in violation of the OEM license agreement.. in short, it's illegal.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Great Link. Thanks a lot!

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents as well, FWIW. First off, the large company I work for got busted by MS a couple of yrs ago. We didn't have all the licenses we need. It ended up costing us around $10,000! However we did end up being properly license. This was beform my time.

Our license agreement with MS (I have no idea what level, as we have a purchasing departmet) says that we MUST purchase licenses for the LATEST product or OS. However we ARE allowed to install older versions of software and OS's.

My 2 cents.

Take one of those boxes set it aside as a test box.

Thow in Linux, FreeBSD, etc

Make sure you have access to the software needed in your company, when convinced all needs were answered, and you're 100% functional with the box, migrate the other machines over to the same, and bypass the M$ licenses all together

Bitfuzzy,

That is definately our next step if this doesnt go over well. I am currently testing one Linux Box and it seems to be going well. Its just scary to be the only IT person that knows Linux and migrate 150 + machines.

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

max1mum,

There are good things to be said about creating job security ;)

With those numbers, I would strongly advise you to talk to the powers that be about getting the other techs upto speed on things before you make all of the changes

I agree. I dont think we would do a full transfer, but the majority of the Test Racks we use. Active Directory is to much a benefit around here to let that go. Well unless Linux can do something like that?

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back