Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use Remote Agent to backup databases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasara

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
FI
Can I use Remote Agent to backup remote servers which contains databases (one has Oracle, one has SQL server running, one has running Lotus Notes)?

Do I need the Agents for current databases?

Is it possible to stop database services on remote server using remote Agent? (like net stop mssqlserver and so on...)

You need the database agent only if you want BE to 'act' like that system. In other words....I have a SQL Server 2000 database, I want to back it up....if I have the SQL Agent then my database acknowledges the BE backup as being a SQL backup. However, there is another option...if I don't buy the agent, then I need to perform the builtin backup and save the backup to a hard drive and then use BE to copy the backup file to tape. I have seen some opinions that that's the best way to do it.

As for Remote Agent, yes you will need it if you are backing up a remote datebase.

-SQLBill

Does anyone know how to stop Oracle and Notes services for Backup?

Does anyone have an example from the script how to stop services and copy databases to hard drive?

I'm using Windows NT 4.0 server op

thnx

First search for all batch folders in the root of program files. See if they stop the services with a batch file (*.bat) then use that or the "Net Stop" command.

You are restricted to a flat-file backup of your SQL database if you don't have the SQL Server agent installed. So you have to stop the SQL Server services and if it is on a Win2K box, backup the System State, SQL Server installation folder (%systemrootdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back