Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use ordinary CAT5 for ISDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bod29

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
GB
Back to basics here !!! ;-)

Can I use ordinary CAT5 cable to connect an ISDN card to an ISDN BT box ??

The cable supplied with the card isn't long enough, has RJ45 ends but only 4 wires in the cable, where CAT5 has 8. (The colours are different too)

I thought it would be OK because I've connected ISDN to video conferencing equipment before, but the bloke in the shop I bought the card thought it wouldn't ??

anyone got the definitive answer for me ??

cheers all !!

Life's too short

isdn requires pins 4 and 5 on an rj45 (cat5)

1 2 3 (4 5) 6 7 8

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNA, Network+
[americanflag]

So the answer is...yes! I'm doing it right now and its fine! yeah the lines they come with are never long enough :p

You found the answer yourself... but the official answer is YES!

For ISDN cat 3 is sufficient. Some clothes line wire, an old lamp cord, automotive jumper cables, etc. would probably do the trick in a pinch. *grins* You should see some of the cloth, old rubber and paper coated wires in the ground of various gauges that distribute this technology! Since this technology is not really distance sensitive it can endure a lot of less than perfect conditions without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back