Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I use a second HD to mirror the first one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis

Programmer
Jan 26, 1999
GB
I have XP pro, and two identical hard disks. At the moment I use the second as a manual backup.
Can I set XP up to do this automatically and use RAID and Mirroring to get hot standby.
The first HD has several partitions
Thanks

WIndows XP pro does not have built in support for mirrored volumes. You maybe able to do it with other software but not sure.

I have xp pro and am running a raid 5 card and 4 drives on the raid system - it runs very well - the disc benchmark shows it reads at 200 times faster than a seagatet 10gb disc and 23 times faster than a quantum 7200 disc!!!!
The raid system is then divided into numerous partitions for and using drive image am able to store copies of thye original installation as well as back ups.
If you want a reliable fast system this seems to be the best workstation I have been able to configure.
I also have a spare EIDE drive as well with a dual boot facility so that if the raid was to fail the date and operating system are on it and provides an alternative boot facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back