Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I upgrade to Windows Server 2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsabatini

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2002
US
What will happen if I upgrade my existing Metaframe XP 1.8 FP2 server, running on Win2K, to Windows Server 2003? Will it work? Thanks.

MF 1.8 is NOT supported on 2003, only MFXP FR3 & MF 3.0. Are you perhaps considering dumping MF 1.8 in favor of 2003's built-in features? If so, what features of 2003 would you be switching for?

You could dump 1.8 and upgrade to Windows Server 2003, if that's what you're question is pertaining to. Not sure if I'd recommend it, but it can be done.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Patrick,

I had thought about ditching Citrix, but isn't the screen performance better (more efficient) with Citrix vs. Windows 2003?

Do you know if FP3 is a billable upgrade? I see they have service packs 3 and 4 available on the web site, but this isn't the same thing, is it?

Thanks!

Joe

You stated that you have Metaframe XP 1.8 FP2 server, which is not a valid configuration. You either have MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR2, or MetaFrame 1.8 FR2.

If you have MFXP FR2 and had Subscription Advantage the day FR3 was released, you can logon to mycitrix.com, fulfill your licenses and download MetaFrame XP Presentation Server FR3.

If you're using MFXP and currently have SA, you can even fulfill & download MetaFrame Presentation Server 3.0.

Does this help?

Patrick Rouse

Patrick,

Sorry for the confusion. I actually have Metaframe 1.8 Service Pack 2 (with FR1 installed). In this case, should I be entitled to an upgrade that supports Win2K3?

Joe

Not for free, unless you've keep your Subscription Advantage current during this time. You can however, purchase MetaFrame Upgrade Licenses to bring you current to 3.0 or XP, whichever you prefer. I believe the upgrade licenses cost around 50% of the normal purchase price.

Patrick Rouse

Thanks very much Patrick! I appreciate all your help.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back