Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I type in Polish On Word on MS Office English installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huevo

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
I have a user that wants to write a letter in Polish to a potential customer, but MS 2000 and MS Office 2000 are already installed in English?

The user says that there are letters missing in the English alphabet that she needs. I know that when writing Spanish you can type in extra charaters using the Alt+digits for example there are two "n's" in the Spanish Language. To type the spanish n is Alt+164 = ñ Is there a way to do this in Polish?

You can always install those locales through Control Panel

The fact that word is on another language do not affect that.
I have myself both English (Irish), Portuguese and French locales/keyboards defined on my computers (2000 and XP) and I just switch language when I need to write on another language.
It helps to know the position of the corresponding keys on each specific keyboard.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

So I go to control Panel>Add/Remove Programs?

I used to work at a place where many people were (at least) bilingual. All of our Office installations were English but we set up a second language for many users. Open Word and go to Tools>Language>Set Language. I know that's where it is in Office XP ... not sure about 2K. You can also open Word and click Help and search for Language in the index. That should point you in the right direction.

HTH,
Rud

I figured it out. Thanks all for your help. Now the only thing I don't know how to do is capitalize some of the alphabets like ? or ? or ?

Does anyone have an idea?

Nothing to do with add/remove programs, as it is not a program.

With Windows XP PRO (English) it is

Control Panel->Regional and language settings->Languages tab ->details->Add new input language

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I guess the characters didn't show after I typed them.

Global standards for computers and the internet were defined in Britain and the USA, and so don't have accents etc. as part of the core system. See faq68-5591 if you want to know more.

As others have said, 'Set Language' allows for this, and you can also set keyboards. And within Word, you can use Insert> Special Characters. But don't be surprised if they turn into something else when you move the text to another application.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Concerning the keyboard: go Control panel > Keyboard > Regional settings. If the required keyboard/layout is not available, install it.
Note that the keyboard layout can be different within the same language. Screen keyboard application from MS can be used to learn it.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back