Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I swap in a different motherboard without reinstalling NW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigugly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
US
I have a cheapo netware 6 server (not actual server hardware, just a suped up PC) that I am having problems with. Shortly after installing netware 6 and spending a bunch of time on configuring services, I noticed it had problems with the keyboard locking up (caps lock light doesn't even work, but rconsole does) and I/O errors. I suspect the motherboard.

I know the right thing would be to swap in a new motherboard and then reinstall netware, but I am pressed for time. I DO have a very similar motherboard (same exact chipset) that I know works.

So...WOULD it be possible to swap in this different motherboard without reconfiguring Netware?

We run netware 6 on our servers, our GroupWise server recently went down due to a hardware failure on the mobo we had a redundant server from another project, the origional server was twin athlon mp based and the replacement was a twin intel based mobo with differnet ram etc. we had little if no problem at all and the system fired up first go. We ran DS Repair and done a good few checks but had no trouble.

NW6 seems very resiliant to these changes but like everything maksure you backup,backup,backup as there are no garantees this will work in your case

Well, I went in at an insanely early hour to swap out motherboards (without disrupting users) and the operations seems to have been a complete success! All seems well. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back