Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I split a DSL Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobin5881

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
My brother in law owns a catering hall. He has a DSL line coming into a router. Four administrative computers are hooked together in a shared networking environment. He wants me to run Cat5 lines to the other rooms so that customers can use the connection for presentations etc. My question is could I put one of those cheap plastic splitters in where the line comes in and attach another phone line to another DSL router. This way I would have two seperate connections to the Internet and the customers using the room connections would be unable to tap into the existing peer to peer currently set up and if this can be done will the traffic degrade the speed alot?

i would install a wireless and turn on some security features

Im not 100% on this, but I am pretty sure that you can only have one connection on a DSL line (by that I mean to one router, which in turn can then service several PCs for example), it's not like a phone where you can split it. So what you have suggested would not work.

To do what you want however, it is not necessary. As mentioned above, I would also recommend making a seperate network either wirelessly or wired. Wireless would be much easier, simply put in a wireless access point and configure the security for it.

Do not join the non-admin computers to the workgroup.

Do you know much about IP addressing? You could put the other machines on a different subnet, which can keep the two groups seperate.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Thanks all.

As far as the wireless goes, my concern is this is a large building and I'd have to put the wireless router in the basement and I'm not confident that the signal strength would be able to go through poured concrete and steel flooring.

As far as preventing the non-admin computers to the workgroup couldn't a presenter circumvent that by doing a search when they connect and try and hook into the workgroup on their own?

and I"m not too familiar on the subnet issue but am an avid reader and pick up rather fast so if there are instructions out there could you let me know where and I look it up.

Yes that could happen, but then again, you don't want to be giving public access machines the permissions to do that. What will they be used for?

If the machines are on physically different networks then you can prevent one from accessing the other, by an Access Control List for example.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

There's a DLINK DSA-3100 Public/Private hotspot product that is pretty amazing but it might be an overkill. You connect this unit directly to your DSL modem for the Internet side. Then on the other side, you have a private lan and a public lan interface. You would connect your admin computers into the private lan and you would connect your wireless access points or wired (to the other guest rooms) to the public side. Then you can create accounts on demand with time limits which are printed on a wireless printer (sold separately). You give this access card to the guests which must enter the info upon connexion to the public network. This product sells for about 600$CAD. We use it for one of our customer at a ski resort. You can do the same with a bunch of products ie : a few cheap linksys routers and switches and it also depends on how your ISP treats multiple logins... If you want to go this route, I'll explain in more detail...

DSL will only support one CPE device per line.

A friend of mine had a linksys box that had wireless security and would not allow traffic from the wireless to reach the wired connections.

akWong- Your solution sounds viable to what I need. How do I go about finding out about it?

Go to Dlink's website for more info regarding the product, they have online PDFs with datasheets, installation manuals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back