Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i sign an Applet in Netbeans 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinF

Technical User
Sep 19, 2000
FR
Hello there,

Please can anyone tell me if i can sign an Applet within Netbeans? I am writing an applet to access an oracle database on our network, and i understand it needs to be signed in order to do this?

The applet works fine in the Netbeans Applet viewer, but not from a browser.

Also, does anyone know of a good turorial to fully understand how to do this? the ones that came up in the thread search seem no longer valid.

Many thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for the links, i did find a bunch of articles on signing applets manually before i posted.

I was wondering however if it was possible to do it directly from the Netbeans IDE, as you can create ketstores etc.

Martin

Something like this?

If you're looking for a rigth-click > Sign Applet, I don't think you can find it

Cheers,
Dian

MartinF,

Actually, NetBeans DOES have built in self-signing capabilities. This may or may not be what you are looking for, but will certainly get your oracle connection moving along, but perhaps with an annoying security dialog.

Here's how you do it:

1. Open your project.
2. Go to File --> Project Properties.
3. Click "Web Start"
4. Click "Enable Web Start" (this is misleading, but click it anyways)
5. Click "Self-signed"

Now build your applet and try it out in a browser. You will now be prompted to accept a digital signature when running your applet.

As far as Web Start goes, you may not intend on deploying your app using Web Start. You'll also see a "JNLP" file in your build directory. Ignore it for now, it's just the webstart launcher. The important part is now you can test in a browser.

When you decide to suppress the security dialog, you'll need to dig deeper into signatures.

Also note, this will add about 15 seconds to your build time (even longer for larger projects).

-Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back