Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I shrink my site down? Takes too long to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisakata

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hey guys, I have my site which takes too long to load in some places. But at home my cable connection makes my page load pretty quickly. I have tried to shrink it down as much as possible but my page has a lot of scenes. I have sacrificed the image quality and sound quality and it still takes a pretty long time. I need some advice. IF anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you!

With so many images, and detailed ones at that, the filesize is always going to be on the large side. If you haven't optimised them in Fireworks maybe that's worth a try as it seems to suck a few more K out that anything else out there, much more effective than Photoshop/ImageReady certainly.

Adjusting the image compression in Flash itself can help too (right click on the imported image in the library and choose 'properties' and there's an option to override the default compression settings for individual images. Then reduce the JPG quality in the publish options, even 5% can make a marked difference to the output file size and is usually hardly visible).

Since some of the images are duplicated between the intro movie and the main site maybe you can look into creating a shared library and attach the images dynamically which would at least save on download time in the second section.

I'd suggest you use optimization tools, like Flash Optimizer, for example... To me it's incredibly powerful, plus they've published a new version again, which is a major update and has very efficient algorithms implemented.
You can try a search on google, but I think it would be a good idea at least to see the features list at Try a free version and see if it makes a difference (i'm sure it will make your site load faster, though).

Ok...

Why if I click to skip intro... do I have view the next flash presentation...?

Just as a personal issue. All FLASH? No text? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back