Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I set 2 Printers up to be the default

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I have a label printer and my regular printer. I need to be able to send something to both at the same time. Can I set them up to both be default and print at the same time?

AV

What program are you printing from? Are you printing to different jobs or the exact same job to both printers?

If you are printing 2 separate jobs then you can set the printer it goes to in the program you are printing from.

If you want to print the exact same job to both printers then at present Windows doesn't seem to have that function, so you might want a friend or you yourself to write a program to do that.

Remember nothing is impossible, you just need to look at it from another perspective.

AV - what's the circumstance? Is this an automatic process submitting prints - or you just sat there doing it manually?

Thanks all for replying.

Its a manual job. They are printing out label with bar codes for certain patients. They then want a blank piece of paper to also print out that barcode. This way they can stick the patients information sheets under this paper with the barcode. They scan all the sheets together and because of this barcode, their scan software puts all the sheets together in one pdf or whatever on their server for archiving. This way they can search it later for the barcode. The label that came out goes on a folder for this patient.

AV

The barcode is being printed in a graphics mode of the printer, and because of the differences in printer languages and drivers it is unlikely that simply capturing the printer stream from the software and redirecting it will succeed.

Tell them to print two labels and stick one a sheet of paper.

Hi.

I had a similar requirement a couple of years ago.

As I was using Word, I inserted some VBA code into the document and made it print some text fields to a label printer and then some text fields (the same as to the label printer plus some other fields) to a laser-jet printer.

You _CAN_ do it, but you will need to find someone with the right programming abilities (or study it yourself. It wasn't too difficult from what I can remember) - I'm not offering, sorry!

I've asked around and I came to the same conclusion as terryISO, it is possible to insert some extra code using VBA to get it to print specific fields to different areas.

VBA if you didn't know stands for Visual Basic for Applications, it's easy to use if you know a little programming language.

If you want a hand with setting this up you can always post a message in the VBA forum which is in the Programmers area under Languages.

Look for macros for envelopes. I know in word there are many of these written. They deal essentially with the same issue, all you would need to do to modify the macro is to change the selected printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back