Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I schedule an Excel object in BOE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxandy

Vendor
Apr 30, 2007
GB
BOE XIR2

I have an Excel workbook which refreshes data from an external source on opening the file.

Can I schedule this to run in Enterprise and store an instance?

I can set up a new Excel object and browse for the file. I have also added a new key in the Excel registry so that the file refreshes without a dialogue box. So I now have a file which refreshes on opening, but I would like to automate this to run nightly and keep the previous instance.

I could have sworn I was told this could be done through Enterprise.

Ideas anyone?

... I should have pointed out also that it would be very nice if - as part of the schedule - I could convert it to a PDF, fire it off as an email etc..

... ... basically, can I do the same with an external object as I can with a Crystal Report?

To my knowledge, you can't SCHEDULE non-BOBJ Objects in BOE-XI (R2).

One option might be to create a PROGRAM to open and Export your EXCEL then load that PROGRAM into BOE-XI (R2), as the programs can be SCHEDULED.

Your easiest option might be to recreate the EXCEL as a CRYSTAL REPORT, then you would be able to schedule, covert, e-mail pretty easily.

Thanks MJRBIM, I've been wracking my brains trying to find where the blazes I'd seen it, and I must have dreamt it.

The only thing I can think of doing therefore is, like you say, write a couple of batch files which do something similar and schedule those.

Cheers for the help.

But if you still want to save an instance, your batch files will have to either copy it with a new name, or you'll have to recreate it in Crystal and schedule it to Excel.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back