Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I run my Clipper applications on Linux Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbizzell

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
I have Clipper applications now running on a NOvell server. Will these applications run on a Linux server?

Hi fbizzell!

You are not running application on a novell server, novell server is just acting like A SERVER for data, application is running on a PC that is in this case novell network clienz or station whatever you prefer.

If you can establish a network between linux server and a group of PC running a version of windows system, you will be able to work yust as you were working before. I heard that networking goes between linux and windows, but have never really tried it.

Good luck

Should work OK, just check that Opportunistic Locking is off. I run some of my sites with Buffalo Linkstations as servers and they run a version of Linux as the OS.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

You'll need to set up Samba on the Linux end, so Windows stations can access the shared folders on the server just like any Windows server (SMB). I've seen it run very reliable, if you keep the tips mentioned here before in mind.

If you want to RUN your Clipper apps on the Linux OS, instead of using files from a (whatever) fileserver, that's a whole different story, you'll have to get xHarbour and recompile the app for Linux. But I guess it's just to be used as a Fileserver here ;-)

HTH
TonHu

We are using Advantage Database Server on our Netware server in connection with Clipper. I assume there is an Advantage Database Server for Linux as well.

Advantage supports the Windows NT/2000/2003, Linux, and NetWare operating systems.
That's taken from the Extendedsystems website

HTH
TonHu

Hm, they changed their name from Extended Systems to iAnyWhere. Whatever.

HTH
TonHu

These are all helpful comments. I guess what I would be trying to do would be to store the application the server but actually load it from there and run it on a windows client inside a dos window. All the data would exists on the server and I would use advantage database server to manage the data. Advantage works great with Novell and I assume it would do equally as well on a Linux server. I may have to modify some code however. I guess the first thing to do is setup a Linux server and give it a try. I am not sure which version of Linux I should be getting however.

Have a look at SUSE OpenLinux 10, it's fully backed by Novell, and has great stability and features. But don't forget to check with iAnyWhere for the Linux platforms they support actively ;-)

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back