Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I run IPSec using IKE/ISAKMP without using authenticati

Status
Not open for further replies.

sguslan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
SA
Hi Cisco/VPN Gurus,,,

A bit of newbie here...

Can I run Cisco IPSec on Cisco 2610/36xx using IKE/ISAKMP without any preshared/certificates/or digital signatures for authenticating the two routers that form both ends of IPSec tunnel...
Essentially our network is private and secure, and all the routers under control of one group, so authenticating routers to each other when exchanging IKE security association stuff is not critical to us; but we need to encrypt data especially host login streams...

Any comments appreciated..
Salim

You might try posting that in the Cisco routers forum. Much quicker responses over there. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I don't know about that specific model, but the 3000 series supports group names and passwords that can be pre-shared and stored long-term on the endpoints of the tunnel. That is in place of certificates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back