Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I run FoxPro 2.6 program on novell without IPX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bem66

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I recently found that if I run a purely IP environment my foxpro program can't receive the machine id from the novel server because the ipx compatible transport protocol is gone. Is there anyway around this foxpro library limitation without restoring the ipx protocol?
Thanks,
Bem66

In your autoexec.bat file on c:add the line
set Machine=MIS1
in your opening program use the GetEnv() command to stroe the name to a memory variable.
ccMachine = GenEnv("MACHINE") David W. Grewe
Dave@internationalbid.com
ICQ VFP ActiveList #46145644

Thanks David,
Would you happen to know of a way without modifying the opening program. Say setting some environmental variable in the config.fpw or config.sys file?
Thanks again,
Ben

You can use the Set command I stated above in the config.sys file also.
or
You might try useing a loader program on the local computers hard drive to call the main program from the network.

example file c:\app\load_prg
public ccUsername , ccMachine , ccPower && same memvars used in the main app
ccUsername = "Santa Clause"
ccMachine = "Slead"
ccPower = "Raindeer"
do f:\app\mainapp

P.S. Needless to say, the mainapp can not redefine the public memvars used in load_prg David W. Grewe

P.S. What version of Novell are you running. If it is before 5, How are you printing? If you have Print queues on the novell server, You have to have IPX loaded on the work stations. David W. Grewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back