Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I run an SQL 7 Stored proceedure from Access 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppet

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2001
Is it possible to run an SQL7 stored proceedure from within Access 2000? I need to run the stored proceedure periodically - no data is returned anywhere near Access - the stored proceedure simply updates some SQL tables.

Any help greatly appreciated - I have very little Access knowledge - mostly SQL background and not even much of that so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Im afraid the simple answer is ....NO! The Jet engine does not recognise this statement!!!

Yes, you certainly can run a SQL stored procedure from within Access 2000. Access 2000 now supports a file type called .adp. If you open Access and select New from the File menu, then select Project(Existing Database). You will then run through a wizard which will help you connect to your SQL Server data source. After that you end up with a standard database window except that you see Stored Procedures instead of queries.

If you need to run the stored procedure programmatically from within Access, just drop another line, and I will give you some code to do it

Thanks for the posts guys but I have already found a way to run the query. You can call an SQL Stored Proceedure from a Pass Through Query. This runs perfectly.

Yes you can execute a stored procedure!

Create a SQL Pass-Through Query and enter
EXECUTE (stored procedure name)
Run it just as any other query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back