Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I reinstall DNS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirceapop14

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
RO
When I installed AD, I installed with DNS integrated...
For a while I have 2 types of errors :

Event ID 6702
Event ID 7062

I do not know how to fix those problems.

I think that a better way is to reinstall DNS.

Is this possible without risk ?
Please tell me how.

Thanks a lot!

quoted from
Event ID 6702 - DNS Issue

DNS Server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to insure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

Causes: 1) Incorrect domain name setup, for example, single-label domain like chicagotech (without .net). Note: MS Windows Active Directory domain members support single-label domain DNS names for Active Directory DNS names, but require additional configuration.
2) Incorrect DNS configuration. The DNS servers should point to each other.
3) Incorrect DNS replication settings.
4) The DNS host record with incorrect IP.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

There is no risk in reinstalling DNS>

Delete the zones, then uninstall the service, reinstall.

Recreate a zone name with the same name as your FQDN.

Point all clients and servers to this box, run a NET STOP NETLOGON/NET START NETLOGON on all domain controllers, and an IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS on the DCs as well. Also run an IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS on any member servers that the clients need to access.

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back