Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I reference a section in the formula editor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxflorida

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi, I am using CR 8.5
I am trying to work around the fact that I cannot access a memo field in the Equation editor. So my plan is to put the memo field in a section of its own and then click suppress if blank. My question is can I reference that section in an equation? Something to the effect of "isnull(group footer #2c) then suppress that section."

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can conditionally suppress any group section by clicking on the Format Section option which opens the section expert. Click the X-2 button next to Suppress (No Drill-Down) and enter the condition that will suppress that section. Example: IsNull(memofield).

Hope this helps.

Although you will not see a memo field as available in the formula editor, you can manually key it in to test for nulls. There is no reason to put it in another section, and if you did put it in group footer 2, you would only be able to supress if the LAST memo field was null. Software Sales, Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Oh No! Mr Bill. (Like you haven't heard that a million times):)
The problem is that the memo field isn't listed in the equations.

dgillz,
I had manually put the field in the equation editor. I had two records that should have showed up with "not isnull". Only one did. The other record acted like it was "isnull". So then (although I doubted it would do anything) I put the "whileprintingrecords" statement in. That didn't have any effect.

Any further thoughts?

Jax: As dgillz and Bill mentioned, you can still use an isnull() on a memo field, you can't select the column from a list, but you can manually type it in and Crystal will allow it.

Also consider using a View/Query which eliminates the memo field rows from the data if you don't want to use those rows, that way no check will be required.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

k,

What do you think is causing it to not pick up both records that contain data in my memo field then?

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back