Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i reach a system behind a firewall with ssh ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
DE
Hello Network-Gurus,

I have not so much experience with firewalls, but I need
to know if it is possible to reach a system thats inside
the firewall from outside the firewall. From what I know,
if the firewall is using NAT, it should be possible, as the source - and destination address in ssh is not encrypted. But the adresses of systems behind the firewall are private adresses (192.168. ...). Does this mean, I
can only get to the systems having "real IP's" within the DMZ , and would I have to telnet from there to the inside - Systems?

Any help would be apreciated!

The reason I need to know this is, that I have do make
some remote-diagnosis on systems behind the firewall.
Using ssh would allow me to use the GUI's of some utilities on the target Systems.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Fred !

hi gosuc -

The feature you're looking for is port forwarding.

Setup of this depends on your model of router - check your user manual for instructions.

Port forwarding -
When someone outside your LAN tries to connect to your public address, the router forwards the connection to the specified local IP (i.e. your server).

You can either
a) Put a PC from your LAN into the DMZ - which means all ports are forwarded to it. NB - this isn't very secure.
b) Forward the appropriate ports. (I'm not sure which one's are used for SSH - try checking your helpfiles)

Once port forwarding is setup, you should be able to connect in the same way as you would from inside your network - instead of trying to connect to IP 192.168.x.x, connect to your public IP address.
<marc>[ul]help us help![sup][li]please provide feedback on what works / doesn't[/li]
[li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul]
[/sup]

gosuc,

Try forwarding port 22, it is the only required port for ssh. You'll probably also want to tunnel X through this connection. It is pretty straight forward, simply make sure that your /etc/ssh/ssh_config has FowardX11 yes in it and you should be fine.

You can also configure ssh to run on a non-standard port in the config file by setting Port #.

Good luck!
pansophic

Hello,

thank you for helping. With this help I knew what topic
I had to read. I could implement my ssh-connection via port 22 and it worked.

Thanks again to mark and pansophic

Fred

i have a prob with local and public ip also. i see every where that i need to port forward but no mention on exactly how to do it. i've even bypassed my router to simplfy my prob but i still have that 192.168.1.1 as my ip displayed in my dynamic ip updater. thats how i'm asuming my apache server is only visable on my lan and not the internet

port forwarding is a feature found on your router. what make/model is it?
the feature is sometimes called Virtual Server.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

i've learned about port forwarding now and my router. it's my westell wirespeed modem that seems to be the prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back