Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can I prevent ISP from disconnecting me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCalvert

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
IE
My ISP disconnects me continuously and will not supply me any worthwhile advice on the matter. So.....
I was wondering if there were an init. string or something to that effect which would stop my modem from responding to the disconnect. As far as i can tell it is my modem that is disconnecting itself but only after recieving a command from the server. I use NetMedic to monitor my connections and IT tells me that it's my modem that is disconnecting and that it's due to my ISP host thinking that my PC is idle.
If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

If your isp is sending disconnect commands because you
have been idle, then there are keep-alive programs available
for free that will solve that problem. If you have an isp
like ours that issues "unreachable" icmp packets, presumably
because some router is jammed up or similar reason, then I
am not aware that you can do much of anything except find another isp that has more capacity. This is an area that I am interested in and am trying to understand more about.

Good luck to you.

silly question,I'm sure, but do you have the "disconnect if idle for more than" box set?

Yes - devassoc - I have tried many keep-alive programs and they all work but do not prevent these disconnects. And no - compgirlfhredi - I do not have the 'disconnect if idle' option enabled.
Also, thanks woody2002 but the link didn't supply me the solution ;/

I have begun another thread - maybe you would all like to look at it...
thread584-717622 have noticed that there is differences to my connection depending on whether or not I have my telephone device plugged in. There are a few different things happening. Chck out the thread for more info. (can't be bothered to write it all out again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back