Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I move /usr and symlink to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylAtHome

Programmer
Nov 2, 2001
US
I'm very new to Solaris and only slightly less new to Unix in general. Be gentle. :)

I installed Solaris 8 on this used Sparc that my employer picked up for me to play around with. I didn't change the default partition or filesystem layout when I installed it and now I find myself with a root filesystem that is out of space and this huge /export/home area that I'll never fill. I've got the box working like I need it to and I really, really don't want to have to start over. Can I move /usr to /export/home and then create a symbolic link to it?

This is what I was thinking of doing:

cp -rp /usr /export/home/
mv /usr /usr.old
ln -s /export/home/usr /usr

If things continued to work after I did this I would eventually remove /usr.old.

This seems too simple - will it work? I've already destroyed things once because I don't know what I'm doing. I'd rather not do it again. ;)

If that process above will work, how can I get myself into some sort of minimal, command line, single user mode. Does it matter if all of the system services have started?

Thanks very much for any help.

-Dylan

are there any free slices on your disk or is /export/home taking up all the remaining space?

The Solaris Management Console lists a large partition used for "backup" that isn't mounted. If this isn't required by the OS then I don't mind using it. If I feel this machine needs to be backed up I think I can find better ways then losing half my disk space.

-Dylan

that partition is the entire disk if you mounted /dev/c0t0d0s2 it would be a partition the size of the entire disk

Ah, I see. I guess if I'd noted the cylinder range I would have realized that. Thanks.

So then, no, I don't have any unused partitions. I just have the mostly unused space mounted as /export/home.

Will my procedure above work? Alternatives?

Thanks.

-Dylan

I ve never done it that way ( sym link)

If you have a backup you could wipe out /export/home
recreate it as the size you need and restore. create an additional partion for /usr

make the partition the appropriate size
newfs the cXtXdXsX
mount that partition as /usr.new
copy /usr into /usr.new
cd /usr
find . -depth |cpio -pvdum /usr.new
edit your vfstab file and change the entry for /usr to use the new device /dev/dsk/cXtXdXsX and/dev/rdsk/cXtXdXsX
reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back