Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I make a local only folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokuto

MIS
Nov 2, 2006
US
Hey guys,

Is there a way to create a folder so it's local only and not stored on the server? Right now I have a rule created sot hat mail from personal addresses goes into my "Personal" folder. But I'm curious if I can make that folder Local only, so instead of storing on the server, once a message comes in it goes right to that folder and stays only local, keeping personal mail off the server. There's noting bad in them, just prefer to keep personal email on my own system than the main server..

Make sure your are viewing your inbox...

File>Database>New Copy. This will copy your server mail file onto your local machine. Then you have to tell Notes to use it.

Down at the bottom right of Notes the is a button next to the Key. (depending on design) Press it and go to Edit Current...

Select the Mail tab. Under Mail file and add the path to the downloaded mail file. Usually just mail/davesmith.nsf

Save and close, restart Notes.

Oh yea, Under that Mail tab change the location to Local.

Hi thanks for your help. I think I already have that, because I usually do just use local and then I have it replicate to the server to keep everything in sync. That makes notes run faster. But what I mean is I don't want it I guess to replicate the Personal folder. That I want to be local only and on the server be empty. In replicate settings, under advanced I see it shows the list of folders, but I'm not sure how to select the one and not have it replicate that. Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is use notes in local mode, and retrieve new mail and such and send it by replicating. But for the mail in the Personal folder, I want it as a folder on my computer not on the server.

I'm new to notes, always used outlook. But in outlook you can have folders on the server, that use your mail quota and that can be accessed from webmail and such. But then you can create a folder that's on your computer only and mail is not on the server when it's in there. That's what I'm trying to do.

Ah, another Outlook user that wants Notes to be the same. Sorry, but Notes is not Outlook, and there are some things that Notes does differently.
As for folders, if you have an agent that puts mail in said folder, well you need it on the server as well, or your agent won't work.

Now, what you can do instead is replicate your mail locally, and set your server mailbox to not replicate deletions. That way, you can replicate your personal mail, get it on the local copy, then delete it from the server copy.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back