Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I log "sleep" mode? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon80FLT

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi All!

I'm having fits trying to figure out what keeps my system from "waking up" after going into sleep mode. Is there a logging feature that I can set to see what, and in which order, applications get shutdown or wakeup from "Standby"?

I have a DELL PII-300Mhz laptop running Win98SE. The problem only happens intermittantly, and never replicatable. I have EVERYTHING turned off, when I Ctrl-Alt-Del, the only application running is "explorer".

If it wasn't a laptop, I would keep it awake at all times, but if I close the lid, it automatically goes into Standby mode, except on the few occasions where it DOESN'T!!! There is nothing more frustrating than opening the lid in the morning and feeling how warm the computer is from being on all night!!!

HELP!!!

Thanks,
Jon

You might want to check the BIOS for wake on LAN or wake on Ring if you have a modem plugged in.

Alternatively you can bring up your system resource meter and let it graph what's being used and what processes are taking up CPU time and then look at the log/graph in the morning...

I think the system resource meter is your easiest and best bet for now.

Alternatively you can bring up your system resource meter and let it graph what's being used and what processes are taking up CPU time and then look at the log/graph in the morning...

My system resource meter does not seem to give me the option to log/graph the info...it only seems to give me realtime data. Am I missing something to perform logging?

Thanks,
Jon

the BIOS in the dells ( is it an inspiron or latitude?) have options to change the save to disk/save to RAM mode, sometimes if the phdisk software has not been installed then you will get this problem. when you power your laptop up does it mention anything about suspend mode ?
turn suspend mode off and do a test from full DOS mode to determine if its windows causing the glitch. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Jon80FLT,
WinNT and Win2k give you graphing options in the task list when checking the system resources. - Jeff Marler B-)

Rfeenie, you nailed this one!

I had done a complete reformat and win98se reinstall about 3 months ago. I have been having probs since then.

After some searching on the DELL website, I found the info about PHDISK, and how to reinstall the PHDISK file. Yes, I was getting an error message about "Missing Suspend-to-Disk File" when I tried to enter the BIOS.

I have the Inspiron 7000.

Here is the link for anyone else that may need it:

Thanks for the help.
Jon

always a pleasure ,never a chore. dont forget the helpful post for my ranking :eek:) If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back