Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I legally get my data/files back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2006
GB
sporty1310 (MIS) Oct 1, 2006
Can you point me in the right direction to find someone to help me answer this.
If I have used a computer at home, originally bought by my husbands own company which he then said I could have in a financial settlement(we have seperated). Then he removed the pc (having broken in the house, we seperated a year before) where do i stand over getting all my data back from the machine?

I am a teacher and it includes lots of sports photos of children at school who I teach, i would have thought leglly he cant have copies of them in his posession? These were all taken with my camera purchased after we seperated. Together with many work documents, some started at school under their licence and brought home on my work memory stick aswell as some started at home so licenced under his name.

Copies of accounts for a rental prperty and my tax return saved etc.

No I didnt back up.
Where do I stand?
He gave me permission to use the pc as it was here for a 11 months after he moved out before he stole it.
I am desperate to get my info back....it includes every photo taken of our children in the last year with my camera.

I don't want the pc...although we had a £438 deal over me buying it...but i want all my files
Do you know enough about this to advise me or point me to the people who may know
Thank you

I'd speak to a lawyer with experience in divorce/separation settlements rather than IT professionals.

John

Your from the UK (I'm guessing by the £). First of all, have you informed the Police? Even if he owned it, he has no legal standing to steal it. Think, if you see your stolen HiFi in a second hand shop, you just can't smash the window and take it.
As said above, this is a legal matter, not really a Techie matter.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Also this is a good time to change all your habits going forward, like putting your photos on yahoo, google, or some alternative, where they're off site, and you don't have to worry about backups.
Not that this helps now, but in the future...

P

Thanks, I did call the police but he said I have the invoice...and they were pretty damn useless two you cops age about 20....said when you get your divorce ask the judge to decide who owns it...

sporty

Try to get a mutual friend of both of yours to ask if he/she can come over there with a flash drive and download them off the computer, while he watches. He will be less resistant to a friend copying the stuff than you doing it... Good luck.

GVN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back