Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I LEGALLY download VB 6 somewhere -- and use my legitimate install code to install it ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerscott

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2008
US
I have a legitimate install code for VB6.

The CD, however, has been lost.

I do NOT want to download it from crack site.
Does anyone know where I could get a LEGAL .ISO file for VB6 ?

Thanks,
Scott

Probably in beeach of enlarge but have you tried eBay?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

In theory even if you lose the original box your license is void. It certainly renders the product ineligible for transfer (sale or even giving it away). The EULA is very clear on this. As a result many of the copies sold on eBay aren't legal.

Nobody can rip their CDs as ISOs and give them away, let alone charge a fee. The EULA clearly prohibits that as well.

Long ago Microsoft contracted with an outside duplication house to sell and fulfill orders for replacement media for reasonable prices. I don't think that option has existed for many years, perhaps over a decade.

The only reliable source is an MSDN Subscription, but that isn't a cheap alternative unless you use a lot more of the things it provides. If you really must get VB6 that is really the only viable option that exists.

Thank You so much for your replies, mattKnight and dilettante.

Good practical wisdom !

Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and use C++ or Java for my project.

OOP and I are just not the best of friends though. I'm an old linear programming "dog" from way back.

Thanks again !

Regards,
EngineerScott

What a difference 40 years can make: I obtained my first "personal computer" in 1978. I was so proud when I was able to make a purchase that I thought would FOREVER solve my RAM memory problems ------ I bought a 16K RAM memory expansion pack !!!! It was 16 TIMES larger than the 1K of memory that the computer came with.

Does it have to be VB6? You can get VB.net, which is similar but not the same thing for free from MS. Just look for one of the express versions or the community edition.

Well you could search for "B4J" which is free, has a syntax somewhere between VB6 and VB.Net, and targets the JVM so the programs it compiles are pretty portable among various OSs.

There are abandonware sites that carry VB6. The legality of them is somewhat grey.

Thanks xwb, dilettante, and strongm

I will take a look at the things you mentioned.

I had never heard of B4J nor "abandonware".

Regards,

Engineerscott

Gals & Guys, c'mon!

The OP HAS the install code and a VB6 CD is simply a VB6 CD, so the answer you are desperately trying to avoid is "Yes you can" and the fact that that VB6 has NOT been supported by M$ for almost TEN YEARS[/b} probably means that they are not likely to be sending their "software police" for breaches of minor 'technicalities'.

dilettante said:
In theory even if you lose the original box your license is void.

It's the CD the OP no longer has, the post states that (s)he has the install code which suggests still having the case, because for VB6 the code was firmly attached to the back of the jewel case, [on a yellow sticker as I recall].

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

You can still download it via a membership at Microsoft premier support. That costs more than the product ever did though.

Just because the cops might not catch you going in through a window and snagging items from your neighbor's underwear drawer doesn't make it legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back