Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I keep a connection persistent when logged off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamjamiss

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have a server that hosts an application which uses information from a network share to perform certain lookup functions. When I log on to the server, the application works flawlessly. However, if I logoff the server, the connections to the network shares are lost and the application fails.

If I map the network shares using command-line "net use" commands with the persistant switch on, will the mappings remain when I log off the server or is there some other way to fix this problem?

What type of application is this?

From what I understand about a Windows NT based operating system (NT 4.0 and Win2K) the only type of programs or applications that will run without a user logged in are ones configured as services.

That is correct. It is a proprietary application that is running as a service on the server.

Ok, I'll assume that the service is started and set to Automatic. Can you give this program the UNC to the required resources?

Example: \\server name\share name\file name

Also why do you need to Logoff the server? Could you possibly just lock the server?

Are you mapping drives and pointing the applications to the mapped drives? try pointing the application directly at the share. i.e. instead of mapping x drive to \\name\share and pointing to x, point directly to \\name\share in your application. If the application doesn't like it, go to the share and add your server by its machine name to the share.

Jamjamiss.... I'm tryin to accomplish the same thing with no luck. Have you had any luck getting this to work since the initial post?

I've tried creating a service that will perform a net use command with tools found on the win2k resource kit but can not get it functioning properly.

Think I might have figured it out. You can use stuff from the resource kit (sc.exe and srvany.exe) to make any service from any windows exe. It requires creating a service, then modding the registry to point to which app you want it to run. The documentation on the resource kit for srvany.exe explains it pretty well. I just made a service pointing to "net use" and it seems to be working.

Thanks everyone. It seems that the post from SeaSpray0 did the trick. Congrats bullbaiter1 for your solution as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back