Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install AIX 5 on this hardware 7026-H80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the servers 7028-6C1 and 7017-S85 can be used for loading aix 5.3

I wouldn't go for the 7017, hey are HUGE and I think they need a 3 phase mains supply.

The CEC - central electronics complex - comes in one 19" rack and the I/O drawer/s need a second 19" rack.

So not exactly practical if you intend to us it at home.

Oh, and the 7026-H60 in the thread title will also run up to AIX 5.3.

Hi all,

What I want is practice at company with AIX 5.x. So I search on ebay for cheap and runnable machine.

@TO DukeSSD : in the title it is : 7026-H80 -> is this possible to run AIX 5.x ?

@To Kunduni : Can I instal AIX 5.x on these machine 7028-6C1 and 7017-S85 ? and where can I bought it with low price (second hand ofcourse)

Thanks for your all reply.

Rgds,
Trong Ho

yeah, sorry, typo, I meant H80, there is no H60.

I am not sure where it will cheap.. Ebay is a good place. However buying second hand server is bit risky since parts are very costly.

I would suggest to go for 7028-6C1 out of the above two.
Nowadays practicing AIX is not just the administration of Operarting system. You need to do LPARs, Virtualisation etc. You may not able to practice virtualisation or LPARs in this hardware.
To practice virtualisation you may need a Power5 Hardware..
By creating a number of paritions you can learn NIM installation new features etc.

There are many entry level servers available which support the above

we ran AIX 52 on an H80 at my previous company,don't know about 53 though

rgds,

R.

Yes. of course.. AIX 5.3 can be installed on H80. But it is a bulky system and is not good for keeping it at home and practising AIX. 6C1 is much better in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back