Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install a MicroATX mobo in an ATX Box ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

busuabo

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
CA
I am planning to buy an MSI MicroATX mobo and install it in my old ATX box . Is it O.K. ? Do I have to fork out $ for a new box ? Thanks.

Yes, you should be able to.
you may need to move \ modify the mounting screws
for the new MicroATX motherboard so it fits right on the ATX case. besides that, I would only worry about having the correct power supply for it.

It should be a straight foward upgrade!

===================
toolz may be required!

Thanks, Johnny, for the tip. But you raised some concern on my part about the power supply . Do you mean I cannot re-use the ATX power supply ? Is there a specific power supply for MicroATX mobo ? Please clarify this issue .

Best regards,

All the new MATX motherboard use a standard ATX power supply. Sometimes you have to insure they meet the standards for P4 or AMD Athlon for your specific processor type. Some newer power suppplys have support for thermal fans, monitoring or variable speed fan control.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You perhaps need to find out if the new motherboard
has the extra P4 compliant power plug and if so, does your old PSU have the appropriate connector?
Also if the PSU rating is up to running the new CPU/motherboard combination.
The motherboard should fit, just relocate the case/motherboard standoff's to the appropriate mounting points so that they align with the new mount holes.
You may need some slot blanks, micro ATX boards generally have no more than 3 PCI slots so probably leaving you with a couple of slots to cover.
I have to say that given the choice a full ATX motherboard is prefered as they generally offer more upgrade potential.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Q. Is there any essential difference between an MATX-compliant power supply vs. an ATX-compliant power supply other than size
and the amount of power available (wattage)?
I have an old MATX supply that I somehow killed, but can get an ATX compliant one cheaper than a MATX. My old surplus AT supplies from older machines don't have the requisite 3.3 volts required for the newer DRAMS, and so they are of no use, unfortunately. Thanks.

The only issue with microATX boards in ATX cases is that mATX boards have two extra screw holes where only a very select few ATX boards have screw holes in the same spots. As such, not all ATX cases have the ability for standoffs in those locations. If the ATX case does fit all the screw holes on the motherboard, than you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back