Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I insert a move clip into the button "down" state? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennyucf

Instructor
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi, guys,

I read one tuturial and it says I can insert a move clip into the button "down" state to make an animated button. But I tried, the error message often appears " you cann't insert a symbol inside a symbol". Is that true??

Thanks a lot!

Jenny

Yes! No problem!
Insert new layer on top of layer 1... While in button edit mode.
Set a keyframe on the down position.
Drag your mc, from the library...
Test it! Bingo!

;-) If you're stuck with lemons... Make lemonade!

you can't insert a symbol inside itself..but you can insert a symbol inside a button in the down frame..but seems to me that inserting it in the down frame is kind of pointless because if you have tha button linking to something it will transfer your link automatically so the mc inside the down frame will only show for a split second if that..why not put it in the over state of the button..

just a thought

heres a link if ya wana see that it can be done..
e.gif

carlsatterwhite@endangeredgraphics.com

OH, yes!! Thank you very much. I used the Flash in another computer and it worked. It's good to put the mc in the over state of the button. you are right!!

Have a good weekend!! But I have to work on the flash project..:-(

Jenny

Yes, you CAN put a movie clip in the 'down' slot inside the button symbol, but the clip will only play as long as the button is held down. Which means that it will only play for a split second in most cases, and revert to the 'up' condition as soon as the button is let go. If that's what you had in mind, then yes, it is doable.

If what you want to do is have a movie clip activate and play thru when the mouse button is clicked, try a 'tell-target' command instead, with the MC on the same level as the button, and action script the button to 'on mouseevent down', tell target "MC" to 'play'. Or something to that effect.

Either way, Good luck,
Boomph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back