Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I have a BCM 400 email someone when a PRI goes down? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBBreakpoint

Technical User
Jan 8, 2006
US
I have a client who is asking if we can set up a BCM 400 to email an address when the PRI goes down on the site.

I've looked around and asked a lot of people and can't find any reference to doing this and everyone I've talked to have said you can't do it.

Has anyone ever looked into this or done it?

At this point the only option I'm finding is some sort of SEB device.

Thanks!

If you upgrade to R5 it will do it for you. Alternatively you could send a SNMP trap to an SNMP management application which could then send you an email from there.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Where would I set up the SNMP trap and where would the SNMP application reside?

Sorry for the questions but I haven't been able to find anything about doing this in the docs and materials I've looked through.

Thanks!

1) You would need an SNMP monitoring application setup on a PC/Server on the LAN the BCM is on.
2) Configure SNMP setting and enable on BCM (See BCM Docs)
3) Mostly likely have to download the MiB files from Nortel to add on the SNMP ability (or instructions) to your chosen SNMP monitoring application.

Typically SNMP apps monitor events like disk, cpu, I/O, etc. The MiB file allows the monitoring application to understand the “trapped” events, like PRI down, received from the BCM and then trigger an event, like SEND email… I needed these MiBs on my SolarWinds SNMP monitoring to provide this added PRI down notification, without it, only CPU, Disk, I/O, Ram, Chassis Temp were reported.

Feature ** RLS: The feature code to fix annoying phone calls :)

Markelbcm is spot on with his explaination. If you don't have an SNMP app already, it might just be easier to upgrade to R5 as you will have to upgrade it at some stage for continued support.

Thanks guys. I just found out the BCM 400 in question is a 3.7 and don't know if the customer is going to upgrade any time soon.

They have the KIWI SNMP monitoring software they are setting up now but I need the MIB file for BCM 400 3.7 since I can't download it straight from the BCM since it's 3.7.

Does any generous person have it for me?

Thanks in advance!!!

Unfortunately I went to the Nortel site and for some reason I can't download this MIB. I've got several calls into some people at Nortel about it but haven't gotten my call backs yet.

If anyone can help me with this in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.

I've got them, I'd be happy to share if you have somewhere for me to upload them for you.

How can I PM you, I don't see any way but I thought we used to be able to do it.

How large is the file?

THANKS A LOT. I got it and appreciate it!

One question: It looks like this is the 4.0 MIB, is there any difference between that and the one for the 3.6 / 3.7 version?

Is there a difference for the different BCMS?

Again, I appreciate the help. Thanks!

No probs. Not sure what the exact differences are between them is but there is a different one for each software level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back