Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I get rid of fresh Magnetic damage to my monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigz

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
DE
I know, I really need to kick myself in the head for this one, but...
I was working on a PC, and put it aside for the moment....right next to a great big whopping speaker. (12")
It was unfortunatly left there over night before I noticed.
And when I booted it up this morning, all the colour had slid to the side of the monitor next to the speaker.
Might be a daft question, but, If I place the monitor the other way around, might the colour come back accross the screen? and get close back to normal?
Just wondered, cos I dont really wanna buy a new monitor.

Is there ANYHTHING I can do?

....woooa, freaky ....not 1 min after posting the last mssg I switched the monitor back on (has been off all night) and all the magnetic disturbance has clean gone...just dissapeared ! cool :))))))

Not freaky, the built in degaussing coil has demagnitized it. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Here is a tip too. Usually, not always though, there is a manual "degaussing" tool you can use within the monitor's menu where you can demagnitise the monitor by hand. Sometimes its a standalone button on the front of the monitor next to the menu buttons, sometimes its an element within the menu itself where you have to select it. I've even seen some older Compaq monitors that you have to hold down the brightness and contrast buttons on the front of the monitor, at the same time to deguass the monitor. If the degaussing tool is within the graphical menu of the monitor, it usually is represented as an icon in the shape of a "U" shaped magnet with a line drawn through it...which if you think about it, makes sense. The small cases there is no degaussing tool is on older monitors that came out before '98 or so. Hope this helps.

In cases where no degausing tool is available (as when my wife left the cordless phone on top of our small TV in the bedroom), a TV repair shop will likely have a hoop electromagnet (or elecrostatic device) and can degause the screen externally.

Neat :)

Frak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back