Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can I Find something in an entire workbook not just a worksheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fil977

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
EU
This is more of an Excell query, but if it can only be done with VB then so be it.

I want to perform a FIND of a particular phrase in an entire workbook not just a single worksheet. Is this possible?

Any pointers would be helpful.

In the find box select "Options" in there is a within box that lets you choose between serching sheets or workbooks.

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

Hi fil977,

It does depend on your version. I think search WorkBook came in with XP (2002).

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Hi
Becasue I'm not farmiliar with that option (and now I know why!!) I thought Id see if I caould do somethig that could be built on if necessary

Code:
Sub SearchBook()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim sFind As String, sRes As String
Dim Found As Range
sFind = InputBox("FIND WHAT????", "FIND")
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    Set Found = ws.Cells.Find(sFind)
        If Not Found Is Nothing Then
            sRes = sFind & " found in worksheet " & ws.Name & " cell " & Found.Address
            Exit For
        End If
Next
If sRes = "" Then sRes = sFind & " can't be found in this workbook"
MsgBox sRes
End Sub

;-)
If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong? [ponder]
How do I get the best answers?

TonyJollans--you are exactly right I am running 2000 so this option is unavailable.

Loomah--the code looks good. will give it a try as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks guys, just proves once again that my own service desk could do with checking this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back