Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I Find A Job with A+ Certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehnoodM

Technical User
Feb 6, 2006
US
Currently, I am independently studying for the A+ Exams. Keeping in mind the fact that I'm only 16 years old, will I be a desirable candidate for a job? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Would that be with or without a high school diploma?

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

depends on the sort of job you are looking for. i imagine that something like a best buy might hire you, though i don't know exactly what their requirements are. if the are any independent shops around, you can check with them and see what they look for, sometimes you can get lucky that way, or you may get to know someone who may let you help out some to get some experience. but the cert isn't really going to help much in that scenario. the best thing you can do, i would think, get your cert, know your stuff, and start talking to people. see if anyone will give you a chance, even if unpaid at first, to get some experience. show that you can do stuff, and maybe they will hire or maybe you can use them as a reference. you could also look at volunteer situations to pick up experience. maybe your school, church, library, senior center....

That's without an HS diploma. I'm only a junior; I have another year before graduation.

Quite frankly, Best Buy is where I see myself after I acquire the certification. But I guess you're right, talking to people would help.

it might be nicer for you to find a mom and pop shop to work at, you might get to do more and learn more. of course, the best buy discount would be nice to have....

Having A+ is a condition to keeping your job as a tech at Best Buy. I think you are allowed up to 90 days after you are hired to get your A+. I'm not sure if they still/will pay your exam. I started off like you. I volunteered at a small computer for 2 weeks then hired for 8 months before moving onto Future Shop for 8 years and now have my own company in the IT field. Learn as much as you can, try to get involved in everything and gain as much experience as you can. A lot of companies hire based on what certs you have but I find that really good companies actually hire based on experience. Read through the old messages in this forum and you'll see you are not alone in this situation matter what your age is.

Keep going thats a start..... You need it all if you would like a JOB in the field.......

BehnoodM - you're off to a good start. A+ is a great cert to get.

For a job, I suggest you go to a local college or university and glance at their career center postings. Most all will have a detailed list of employers looking for interns/entry level positions. These type jobs typically don't make it to the papers or internet - only universities/colleges. And though you are only 16 in HS - many times employers would be happy to give you an entry level position - maybe a summer job/weekend job. They may even be able to offer you credit if your HS accepts vocational credit. Even if you couldn't get credit for HS, the experience would definitely be worth it. It will also give you an idea of where to apply in the tech sector.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back