Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I encrypte ASP files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byourself

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
IL
I would like to encrypte my project's asp files, so other people won't be able to steal my code not legally.

Can this be done, while keeping the encrypted ASP files active?
---------------
"We'll never give up, it's no use" (Blink 182)

People can't still your ASP code unless they have access by another protocol such as FTP. When the user sees your page, they see straight html, because the server has processed all the asp code and sent it to the browser. So there is no reason to encrypt an asp file..

I know that... I am talking about a situation when other people have access (via FTP) to my files.
---------------

Why not give them access to only certain directories that don't have your files in them... because there is no way i know of to do this...

That's not an option...
I fell we lose the point here - Can ASP files be encrypted and stay active?

If yes, how?

Thanks
---------------

Not that I know of, but what kind of host do you have? Because I havn't had a host yet that wouldn't make password protected ftp directories... and i have had some pretty bad hosts.. *cough* ucvhost.com *cough*

hahaha

ucvhost came up, lately, with a decision that they do not allow any action with or on files... So you won't be able to upload files, use xml or even send an email attachment through your pages... That's what I call a REALLY BAD host... :)

Anyway, that's not a problem, my host now is really good and I don't have a problem with the passwords. I just have some people who can access the server and they all can see my code which I've been working really hard for. That's why I want to encrypte the files - to keep my copyrights nearby.

I came up with the idea because I know that ColdFusion, for example, gives you the ability to encrypte the files and yet, use them on the server. ---------------
"Young and hostile, but not stupid" (Blink 182)

yea, im long over ucvhost they suck more then anyone could imagine a host could suck, im now with ophelus.com and its the best host I have used ever.

good luck on your encryption

I've answered this one previously...
Have a look at this:
thread333-275500 This is not a bug - it's an undocumented feature...
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back