Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can I divide a big domain???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wontolla

Technical User
May 28, 2001
MX
Hi guys!!!

I'll be grateful if someone can help me!!!

We have almost 1000 workstations and we create a domain for all of them.
When I began to add some of the workstations I realized that I would get a big bunch of machines in the network window, so it could be difficult to find and organize all the computers.
I wonder if there is some way to make divisions on the network, we have 9 buildings (economy, society, marketing etc).
I thought about creating 9 child domains but it means 9 servers, and it´d be difficult to handle. I need to centralize the network in one machine, but I don´t know if I can create differnet groups of workstations in the Microsoft Windows Network.

Thank you all!!!!
(Pleace pardon me if my english is not very good)

There is a way to do that... it will just take a little bit of time and some thinking and restruchering of your network but it can be done. bet thing to do it just make one single domain. and have little domains under it.. like you have Microsoft.com. k well the sales would be Sales.microsoft.com. and so one and you can group all the computers that are in sales under that domain tree. it can be done in NT4.0 but i would sugest Win2k

Brian B-)

Thank you Tweeker!!!

Thats what I'm talking about, in fact, we have one child domain (our library) under the parent like this:

parent.local
and
child.parent.local

but we needed another domain controler, it was a good idea because the library has it´s own administrator, but we can´t put a domain controler in each building, well I´m trying not to do that, what I try to do is to have different "subnets" in the network environment to handle workstations in groups, because, maybe a user from economy has nothing to do with some workstation of marketing, I don´t want to make workgroups because our server is to store data from all our users.

Thank you Tweeker, but more DCs is a solution I´d like to avoid

Wontolla,

There are a few ways that you could go about doing this. 1 is you COULD set up a cluster to take up to network load balance. That would even out your network and help things run faster. Now you do not need a server in every building but that may be a nice security and for local administration have someone in each building be the admin. For that building but you can do with if you are running Win2k you can have 2 servers. It is possible I have documentation on how to do that but I don’t have it at my disposal at this moment I can get it by the end of this weekend. Now unlike in NT 4.0 you don’t have the PDC and the BDC anymore but you can have TWO DC in running Win2k and there is a way to set that up I will just have to get a hold of my documentation that I have on that and I will get back to you on how to set that all up.

L8rz

Brian, B-)

Thanks Tweeker, I realy apreciate your help.

I'm interested in your documentation. I'll be thankful and I'll be waiting for it anxiously. May be it's easier by e-mail: wontolla_8@hotmail.com.

The idea of one DC in each building will give rise to a long discussion with my superior.
We have another computer, and I think is a good idea to have two DCs. But I still don´t understand the way this could help in the organization of the workstations.
I was reading about "sites" in our primary DC, but I don´t know if this is what I´m looking for.

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back