Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I copy Outlook calendar to a new pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michko

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hoping someone can help me here. When we install a new (to them) pc for a user, we copy the outlook.pst and .pab files from their old pc to the LAN, then when their new pc is installed we copy these files back down so they still have saved messages, etc. I can do all of this without signing on with the user's outlook id and password, just administrative rights. The only problem I've hit is that this does not copy the user's calendar info. I know that I can copy their calendar if I'm logged in with the user's info. I'd like to be able to get their calendar copied without having to open their outlook. Does anyone know of any way to do this? Is the calendar info saved in a file like the .pab and .pst files?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Mich

Note - I did not include OS and Outlook version as we have users running everything from Win95 to Win2000 and Outlook98 to Outlook2000. The .pst and .pab files copy either way.

I'm sure the calendar is stored in the same PST file.

Can they not use the Outlook 2000 PST import once you have copyed the file to there area?

I really thought the calendar was in the .pst file also, but appears it is not. The .pst file copies just fine and when user settings are set to the saved .pst file, the user can access all their personal folders and saved messages. However the calendar info is just not there, or if it is, it isn't accessible.

thanks for the reply

Create a new PST file and manually copy the Calender from the mailbox to the personal folders. This should work, I was doing the exact same thing earlier today.

Thanks, just one question - can I do this without logging into the user's Outlook? i.e. I'm sitting in one office and remotely access their pc with administrative rights (which does not allow me to open their Outlook unless I have their password, and try telling a user that when we're switching out 200 new pc's a month right now there is no way I'm going to remember their password). If I have to open their Outlook, I can just copy the calendar itself up to their mailbox on the server, then copy it back down to the new pc when ready, I'm really trying to avoid having to open Outlook at all.

thanks

In outlook there is either a PST file or an exchange server. No other choice.

Look under Tools > Services to see what you have.

There is also the "save my settings" wizard form MS that will save the user info to transfer. Works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back