Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i connect my desktop, Windows ME, and my laptop, Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakefreak

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
ive been trying to connect my desktop and my laptop but have not been able to. any help would be much appreciated

thankyou
wakefrek

More info please. Like how are you trying to connect them. If both have a network card, all you need is a CAT5 crossover cable & then configure network settings. is a good site for help here - its also got help for direct cable connection - DCC (use the index on the site if you get lost)

both computers have network cards- im was using a cat5 patch cable- but i figured out that that isnt the right one cause two of the wires are switched so im tyring to get a CAT5 crossover cable- so hopefully when i get thta it should go smoothly- thnxs for the site and ill get back to u if i need any more help once i get the new cable.

wakefreak

Care to share the solution for others reading this?

sure- the only thing that was wrong was me having the wrong cable. then from there it was easy just set the ip and the subnet mask and then make sure that u have both computers set to "share" then plug in the cable. ME and 2000 did connect on a peer-to-peer connection. if u need help just let me know ill try to help you out.

wakefreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back