Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change the outbound caller ID phone number??

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrecar

Technical User
Nov 25, 2009
US
Hello all, I have a Nortel MICS phone system with 8 lines coming in. Does anyone know a way to display our main number on all outbound calls no matter which line we make an outbound call on? AT&T says it is a funtion of my phone system....Thanks

Your AT & T rep is wrong. It is called # replacement & is something that your telco should offer if these are analog lines.

Assuming all these lines are in a rotary and not single analog lines / the display of the main (pilot) number should be displayed on outgoing but is set up by your telco.

If you can't get satisfaction from you local Telco, you can always use (VoIP) SIP trunking along with an FXS Analog Terminal Adapter connected to your MICS's LSDS trunk cards.

You can keep your lines and just use these for dial out. SIP trunks can be nearly as flexible as a PRI circuit without the 23 B-channel commitment. ITSP's that serve businesses are what you're looking for. Vonage is NOT what you're looking for.

VoIP can be a little tricky to prevent some of the problems you can run into with packet-switched voice, but done properly (as we have) it can be an extremely powerful annex to your phone system.

Curlycord is right. I can't tell you how many times I've run into a brick wall with a rep, and SOLVED the problem by hanging up and calling back to get a different rep.

Why just last Friday a AT&T (SBC) rep said "Sorry sir, there's no way to block 1010 dial-around on your lines." I knew this to be false, so after a long run-around and several delays while checking with other reps and supervisors she finally "re-re-confirmed" her position that my request to block 1010 dial-around was impossible.

Finally I did what I should have don long ago--hung up and called back. The next agent took care of it in a matter of minutes.

I should have given up sooner!
-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back