Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change "associations" (default actions) in Android 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
Under Android 6.0, is there any way to "associate" a particular app with a given link or file.

Let me try to explain. In my old device (running Android 4.x), if I click on a link within an app, and the link is associated with another app, the system would offer to open the link within that app - rather than in the default browser. For example, I could read about a movie in the Wikipedia app, then click on the link to the movie's page in IMDB. Wikipedia would then offer to open that page within IMDB rather than in Firefox or whatever. Similarly with the BBC iPlayer app, and others.

In my new Android 6.0 device, it doesn't do that. It simply opens the link in my default browser.

Is there any way to customise these "associations" (or default actions)? I can see how to change the default browser, but that's not what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Settings -> Apps -> [choose the app] -> Open by default

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

I have gone to Settings -> Apps -> [choose the app] -> Open by default. I can see three options:

- "Open supported links". This lets me choose between "Open in this app", "Ask every time" and "Don't open in this app". I have tried all three settings, but do not see any change in behaviour.

- "Supported links". This typically shows zero, one or more URLs. For example, in the IMDB app, is shows But as far as I can see, these links are not editable.

- "Other defaults", which is set to "No defaults set". In all the apps I've checked, there is no way to alter this.

So I am unfortunately no further forward. Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Mike

You may want to search online for your specific phone model and Android OS version. Many manufacturers modify everything even the menus and such. Motorola phones I've used in the past used stock or basically stock Android which was nice, in my opinion. My current Android phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7, and Samsung seems to have modified everything in it. I like some things, but not all.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for your reply, KJV. I take your point about your Samsung. I previously had a Samsung tablet, and I was often dismayed that so many standard Android features seemed to be missing or disabled.

My new tablet - the one I am having this problem with - is a Lenovo Tab3-7. I much prefer it to the Samsung, but the support is terrible. I tried going to Lenovo's knowledge base, but you have to start by entering your model number; whatever I entered, it simply wouldn't recognise the Tab3-7. I also tried signing into their forum, but fell at the first hurdle when I was required to enter my Lenovo ID - whatever that it.

Not to worry. I'll keep looking - and will report back if I find a solution.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back