Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change Computer Name at W2K Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warik

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
ID
Dear all,

Can I change Computer Name at W2K Domain Controller Server?
If it can, how should I do that?

Thank you in advance

W2K doesn't permit a DC to change it's name.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I would think that you could demote it (using dcpromo), if you have other Domain Controllers, rename it, and then promote it back to being a Domain Controller.

Dan

You are both right, you can not rename a DC. But you can run dcpromo and demote it and rename it and then run dcpromo again. Make sure you give the domain time to replicate the demotion before you promote it again.

How to demote DC?
I've been trying with dcpromo and it appear Active Directory Installation Wizard, and if I follow the instruction (until second step), it seem to make new Active Directory like what I did before (at the first time I made the domain controller with wrong computer number). Plz help me.

Thank you in advance

If it's starting a new active directory wizard, chances are you don't have ad installed. Can you verify it's a dc and not a stand alone server?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yes it seems it was never even a DC in the first place. Never mind.
Unjoin it from the domain using the SYSTEM tab in CONTROL PANEL then REJOIN it the same way, specifying the name you'd prefer. The same as you'd do with a PC in fact.

Open Active Directory Users and Computers, navigate to Domain Controllers and see if the system in question is listed.

If it's not, just rename the system, then run DCPROMO to bring it up as a DC.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I don't have a server handy to run dcpromo on, (Don't want to mess with mine), but I believe it asks for a name to use when you run dcpromo. (Rename it first, just in case I'm wrong.)

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yes, It work...
After demote with dcpromo and choose 'This server is the last domain controller in the domain' then follow the next step, I could demote the domain controller, restart. Then change the computer name.
After finish changing the computer name, I start Active Directory again from begining and... now, mycomputer run well with new computer name.

Thank you for you are all help.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back