Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I add a 2007 exchange server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brichr

MIS
Feb 17, 2003
US
I have an exchange 2003 server and some exchange 2010 servers in my network. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a 2007 server to help me out with some migration problems I am having. How can I check if my environment will except 2007 exchange servers?

Chances are, if you have 2010 exchange server in your environment, the schema has already been prepped to accept a 2007 server.... Even migrations between 2003 and 2007 is relatively seamless ..

But the installation wizard will do a cursory check of the Active Directory to ensure that all is in place for it to be installed.

But why would you want a 2007 server? I'm curious. You'd have the same migration issues between 2003 and 2010 as you would with 2007. Mailboxes would still have to be offline during the move from 2003 to 2007 ..

Something to consider.

AlRo
System Administrator
Ottawa, Canada.

Well I really dont want to migrate any users from 2003 to 2010. Those users are already done. However, I have a bunch of Novell Groupwise users that I want to use the Microsoft Transporter Suite with, and this transporter suite only works with 2007 management tools.

So For a handful of my users I would be migrating them from Groupwise to Exchange 2007 temporarly and then moving them within exchange to 2010.

Thanks for your reply. I think I can get away with installing 2007 sp2 into my exchange environment to pull off this migration. I'll post back on how it goes.

ah... cool..- ya i'd be interested to hear how it all works out..

AlRo
System Administrator
Ottawa, Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back